“Positive psychology” is what they usually refer to as the study of the moods and manners that combine to make up mental health. But do you know what are the outstanding characteristics of good mental health? Here is a list of some of the ideas as to what is believed to makes up good mental health.
Characteristics of Good Mental Health
- Being able to enjoy life is a sign of good mental health. Too many people worry away the day worry about tomorrow. Yes, we all have to plan our futures from time to time, but the daily grind of worry will put a toll on our minds and our body. Also, mistakes in the past seem to darken our minds and control our thoughts once in away. Put all the thought behind and look for something each and every day to be excited or happy about. A few minutes of happiness can distract us from worrying and fretting.
- The ability to rebound when all around us is gloom is normally called resilience. Resilience is needed to sustain good mental health. This is what they use when talking about how you cope with stress. Any soldier fighting in a war that comes back to their life and is able to carry on with their life as before going off to war is known to have resilience. Being raised in an abusive situation and not repeating it yourself is also having resilience. Resilience is being able to handle stress and making the most out of the situation without it controlling you.
“You don’t have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.”
- Needing time alone is not a sign of bad mental health. We need time alone and time with others. The need for harmony or balance in our lives, there is a time for sleep and a time to be awake, if you do not get enough sleep, then your body can be run down. Too much work can also be a strain on us physically and mentally. There should be a time for work and a time to relax. Trying to balance everything in our lives can be a challenge, but it can be done.
- It is fine to have ideas and stick with them. But, being flexible with your state of mind is a sign of good mental health. Holding your emotions inside has never been a good way to handle life. If you need to cry, scream, or laugh let loose. Allowing you the right to have and show emotions is a sign of good mental health.
- Using what you know. If you have special attributions, then use them. Suppressing the talent that you possess is a sure-fire way of not knowing who you are. Learning about you and using the many gifts and talents you were born with is a wonderful way to sustain good mental health.
- Liking who you are is an important step in keeping good mental health. We all have something we do not like about ourselves that is understood. But, remembering that you are an important person and that you have talents and gifts no one else has will help you keep your head held high.
- Dealing with the loss of a loved one or friend can be very devastating. Learning how to cope with these feelings and moving forward can be a very hard task, but some people can.
Talking with others or a counselor can, in fact, help you in many ways cope with what life may throw at you. Remembering you are not the only one that has gone through the same situation may help you. You are not alone in this world with your feelings and thoughts; others have been down the same path. It is just what you choose to do to deal with these situations are different.